Fly to the Temples
Siem Reap's New Airport Transfer Makes Visiting Angkor Wat Easier Than Ever
Siem Reap’s new airport makes accessing Angkor quicker and easier than ever. Its state-of-the-art facilities usher in a new era of tourism.
Siem Reap Angkor International Airport: Gateway to the Temples
Exploring the awe-inspiring temples of Angkor Wat is a bucket list dream for so many, myself included. Yet, getting there hasn’t always been a walk in the park. I totally understand how daunting it can feel, especially when considering that tourism numbers in Cambodia are on the decline.
But guess what? After much digging and legwork, I discovered a game-changer – Siem Reap’s new airport transfer service! It promises to make dreams come true by significantly simplifying access to these iconic landmarks! Excited about an easier path to ticking off Angkor Wat from your travel wish list? Let’s delve into this article together and map out your smooth journey ahead.
- Siem Reap’s new airport transfer service offers a range of convenient options for travelers visiting Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples.
- Pre – booking your airport transfer provides convenience, peace of mind, and the opportunity to secure better pricing.
- Private transfer services in Siem Reap offer safety, reliability, and hassle – free arrivals and departures.
- The new Siem Reap airport opened October 2023 – it’s bigger and farther from the city than before
- Airport shuttle buses now connect SAI airport with downtown Siem Reap and the temples
- Taxis are plentiful but costly compared to the airport shuttle service
- Private transfers offer convenience for a premium price
- Travel time is around 1 hour between the airport and city center
- Several transportation options get you effortlessly from the airport to your hotel
Siem Reap Airport Transfers – Convenience and Options
Siem Reap offers a range of convenient airport transfer options for travelers visiting Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples.
The Brand New Siem Reap Airport Changes the Game
The recent opening of the giant Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport (SAI) introduces a new era in travel and tourism for this iconic region.
Replacing the old Siem Reap airport just 6km from the city center and temples, the new Siem Reap airport lies 40km outside town. This gleaming new airport can handle far more traffic, allowing direct international flights to streamline visits to Angkor’s incredible temple complexes.
But its distance from Siem Reap and Angkor poses a Siem Reap airport transfer challenge – how to connect this travel hub with where visitors need to go. Luckily, some convenient new options have emerged.
The sprawling new airport also cements Siem Reap as the undisputed aviation gateway to the temples of Angkor – an important UNESCO World Heritage Site and Cambodia’s top tourist draw.
The new facilities provide plenty of capacity for growth in travel to Angkor Wat and beyond. Exciting times ahead!
Airport Shuttle Buses For Budget Travelers
For an affordable and easy Siem Reap airport transfer, opt for the new public shuttle bus service between SAI and downtown Siem Reap.
Shuttle buses depart at least hourly from 8am to 4pm, taking about 1 hour to reach the city. Tickets cost $8 each way, or $15 for a roundtrip.
The shuttle bus has two stops in Siem Reap, but neither are super close to Pub Street and other tourist accommodations. You’ll need a short tuk-tuk ride from the shuttle bus stop to your hotel.
Still, the airport shuttle bus is by far the cheapest hassle-free way to get between SAI and your hotel. Just be sure to check the shuttle schedule and arrive at the pickup point on time.
Pro Travel Tip: For early morning arrivals or red-eye departures, the shuttle bus won’t be running. A taxi is your only option those times. Plan accordingly!
Going in Style: Luxury Transfers for Discerning Travelers
For visitors who value time, comfort and convenience, private Siem Reap airport transfers are the way to roll. No waiting, no extra stops – just an orderly transfer directly from the airport to your hotel’s front door.
Hiring a private car and driver between SAI and Siem Reap costs around $40-60 each way, depending on the vehicle size. While not cheap, some consider it money well spent to maximize precious vacation time.
These days, you can easily compare transfer companies and book online ahead of time for peace of mind. Know your driver will be waiting to whisk you to your accommodation upon arrival. That’s traveling in style!
Pro Travel Tip: If your hotel doesn’t arrange it, book your luxe private transfer in advance rather than trying your luck at the airport. Airport taxis can be more expensive.
An Armada of Taxis Offering Varying Value
Probably the most traditional Siem Reap airport transfer option, taxis are ubiquitous at the new airport. However, not all taxis are created equal.
Metered taxis with fixed rates around $35 one-way are your best bet. Negotiate the fare up front to avoid surprises or scams.
Black “luxury” taxis might charge $60 or more to downtown Siem Reap, so confirm the fare beforehand. Regular metered taxis usually get you there just as comfortably for less.
Pro Tip: The plethora of taxis at the airport means you’ll always find a ride, but pre-booking a reputable driver is recommended over choosing one randomly upon arrival.
Whatever Your Style, Planning Is Key
However you decide to transfer between SAI and Siem Reap, the key for a smooth trip is advance preparation. Here are top tips for easy airport transfers:
- Know your options – Research transportation costs/schedules to pick what works best for you
- Book early – Reserve private transfers or airport taxi in advance when possible
- Allow ample time – Airport transfers take around 1 hour; build in buffer time for traffic
- Have backup plans – In case of delays, have a taxi number handy as a backup
- Confirm logistics – Double check transfer details before departure day
- Pack light – Bring minimal luggage to easily get around on transfers
Pro Travel Tip: Snap a photo of your driver’s name and contact details in case of any issues. Stay in touch if delays arise en route.
Relax and Enjoy the Ride
Thanks to the new Siem Reap airport facilities, getting to Angkor Wat and surrounding temples is easier than ever.
Once you’ve booked the Siem Reap airport transfer method perfect for your travel style, you can sit back, soak in the views, and get excited for the adventures ahead in this amazing destination!
Safe travels, and let the magic of Angkor transport you to another world. We can’t wait to welcome you to the astonishing temples of Siem Reap!
Want help planning the vacation of a lifetime in Siem Reap? Our expert team handles every detail for an unforgettable experience. Learn more about our private tours!
New Siem Reap Airport Built to Handle Global Long-Haul Flights
The newly opened Siem Reap Angkor International Airport (SAI) ushers in a new era of tourism and travel for Cambodia. With state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure designed to international standards, SAI provides the capacity to accommodate even the largest passenger jets on long-haul routes.
According to Dr. Mao Havanal, Minister in Charge of the Secretariat of Civil Aviation, SAI was conceived not just for present needs, but with an eye toward long-term growth. The airport was given a 4E rating, with the capability to handle 4F aircraft as well. This enables SAI to service massive aircraft like the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
The Minister explained that SAI has an initial capacity of 7 million passengers annually, expanding to 12 million by 2040. Its cargo capacity is projected to grow from 10,000 tons currently to 26,000 tons by 2040.
Deputy Prime Minister Vongsey Visoth remarked that the $1.1 billion airport was completed on schedule thanks to close cooperation between Cambodia and China. SAI stands as a testament to the strong ties between the two countries and their leadership.
By building SAI to such exacting standards, Cambodia has ensured Siem Reap will remain a leading international hub bringing global travelers to iconic destinations like Angkor Wat. The airport cements Siem Reap as the gateway to the temples of Angkor and the nation as a whole.
The state-of-the-art SAI also facilitates new direct long-haul routes to Cambodia as more airlines operate modern fuel-efficient aircraft like the A350 and 787. Travelers worldwide can now reach Cambodia and its attractions faster and more conveniently than ever before.
SAI’s advanced facilities provide the capacity for continued tourism growth in Siem Reap and increased international visitors. With world-class infrastructure ready for the future, Cambodia sends the message it is open for tourism business. The skies are now wide open for travelers seeking adventures in Cambodia.
- The new Siem Reap airport offers various transportation options including taxis, shared shuttles, tuk-tuks, rental cars, and buses to accommodate different budgets and preferences.
- Pre-booking transfers in advance provides convenience, peace of mind, ability to choose preferred option, and potential cost savings compared to arranging transport on arrival.
- Prices for airport transfers can vary depending on type of service, with private transfers being more expensive but offering reliability, safety, and a hassle-free experience. Prices may change so checking for updates pre-trip is advised.
- Private transfers guarantee efficient, secure arrivals/departures without unexpected fees. Companies should provide transparent pricing.
- Adventurous transport like guided tours, helicopter rides, and bike tours are great ways to explore Siem Reap and Angkor temples. Tuk-tuks also offer a unique cultural experience.
- Sunrise/sunset temple tours, monk blessings, Khmer cuisine tours provide memorable cultural immersion.
- New Siem Reap airport with simplified transfers makes visiting Angkor Wat easier than ever with convenient, stress-free transport options.
The new airport provides various transport choices including private transfers that maximize convenience and experiences for easy Angkor Wat access. Advance planning and booking helps ensure a smooth, enjoyable trip.
Is Rep and Sai the same airport?
No, Rep and Sai are not the same airport. Rep is the IATA code for the current Siem Reap International Airport, which will be closed when the new Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport (SAI) opens on October 16th, 20231. SAI is located 50 km east of Siem Reap town and about 40 km from Angkor Wat temple, and it will replace the existing Siem Reap International Airport as the city’s main airport.
The new airport has received the official code from the International Air Transport Association (IATA Code) as SAI and from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO Code) as VDSA.
The new Siem Reap airport is located in Sotr Nikum district’s Ta Yek commune, 50 km east of Siem Reap town and about 40 km from Angkor Wat temple. It is being developed in three phases on a 700-hectare plot.
The airport was designed to initially handle 7 million passengers a year, which is 2 million more than the existing Siem Reap International Airport. The new airport will be able to accommodate larger aircraft, including models like A340-300, A350-900, B777-200, B777-300ER, B747-300, and B747-400. It has a 3,600-meter-long runway and 38 gates.
The new airport officially began operations on October 16, 2023, and replaced the existing Siem Reap International Airport for commercial operations. The existing airport was closed due to operational and traffic constraints.
Explore more on My Siem Reap Tours
Koh Ker and Beng Mealea guided tour | Banteay Srei temple tour semi-private guided tour | Angkor Wat Sunrise shared tour | Koh Ker and Beng Mealea guided tour | Morning Siem Reap floating village tour | Afternoon Siem Reap floating village tour | Private Angkor Wat special tour | Kulen Waterfall small group guided Tour | Private Angkor Wat mix temples photo tour