Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours in 2023 and 2024 – The Latest Timings for Visiting the Historic Site Explained
Ready to explore the majestic Angkor but not sure about the Angkor Wat Temple opening hours? This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about Angkor Wat’s visiting times. We’ll cover daily, weekly, and seasonal schedules, sunrise and sunset timings, holiday closures, and pro tips for avoiding crowds.
Read on to master the temple hours and perfectly time your Angkor Wat bucket list adventure!
Below, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know, from daily, weekly, and seasonal operating times to sunrise, sunset, and special closure dates.
My goal is to provide travelers like you with the latest accurate Angkor Wat Temple opening hours so you can plan your Angkor Wat adventure.
Let’s explore when you can enter this iconic temple and how to maximize your time there!
Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours – Key Takeaways:
- Angkor Wat’s standard opening hours are from 5 AM to 5:30 PM daily. This schedule allows you to catch both sunrise and sunset on most days. Arrive right at 5 AM to enter for sunrise before crowds.
- To time sunrise, arrive at Angkor Wat before 5 AM and head to the east-facing back of the central tower. Sunrise rays light up the temple around 5:30-6 AM. Have your camera ready!
- Seasonal hours can vary slightly: 5 AM-5:30 PM in cool months, 5:30 AM-5:30 PM in hot months to avoid midday heat. Equinox days open at 4:30 AM for sunrise crowds.
- Angkor Wat maintains identical opening hours every day of the week – no difference between weekends vs weekdays. Easier for planning your visit.
- On certain public holidays, Angkor Wat closes entirely for the day. Cross-reference your dates against a 2022-2023 calendar of Cambodian holiday closures.
- Multi-day passes are recommended to see more than just Angkor Wat. Prices are $37 (1 day), $62 (3 days), and $72 (7 days). Purchase online or at the site.
- Stay flexible! Specific operating hours can change due to weather, noise, restoration work, or special events. Verify latest times upon arrival.
- Private Angkor Wat Sunrise Tours allow you to beat the crowds and watch the magical sunrise from hidden temple balconies away from the hordes. With a personal guide catering to your needs, you’ll capture those iconic dawn shots in ideal lighting with insider tips on positioning.
- Specialized Sunset Tours bring the glory of Angkor’s temples into dramatic relief. Expertly timed to catch the golden hour glow, you’ll bask in the serenity of sacred sites like Angkor Wat minus the usual crowds. Your guide unlocks privileged vantage points for breathtaking photos.
- Multi-Day Angkor Wat Tours give you the gift of time and flexibility. Spread across 2+ days, you can fully immerse yourself in the sprawling temple complexes at a relaxed pace. With hotel pickup/drop-off and private transport, everything is effortlessly handled so you can soak up the majesty.
- Exclusive VIP Tours unlock Angkor’s secrets, granting access to areas off limits to regular tourists, like sacred upper tiers, hidden chambers, and restricted corridors. Feel like royalty as your specialist guide tailors a dream itinerary just for you.
- Personalized Itineraries mean total control over your experience. Visit the temples you want, in the order you choose, for as long as you like. Add exclusive elements like private ceremonies or helicopter tours. Customize an Angkor Wat adventure that’s one-of-a-kind!
Here Are 9 Must-Know Tips on Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours:
- The standard opening time is 5:00 AM. This allows pre-dawn entry to view sunrise from inside Angkor Wat.
- Closing time is 5:30 PM every evening. This enables sunset viewing as well.
- Hours vary somewhat by season due to weather changes and celestial events.
- Certain days the complex is closed or has shortened hours for religious holidays and celebrations.
- Weekday and weekend hours are generally the same year-round.
- Private Tours with special passes may gain early admission at 4:30 AM. Independent travelers must wait until 5:00 AM.
- Passes are required for entry. Multi-day passes can save money if visiting many temples.
- Allow lots of time to explore Angkor Wat – 3 hours is recommended minimum.
- Stay flexible as opening times can change due to weather, holidays or restoration works.
Now let’s dive into the details on each aspect of Angkor Wat’s operating hours so you can perfectly time that bucket list temple visit!
Angkor Wat’s Standard Opening Times
The regular opening and closing times at Angkor Wat are:
- Open from 5:00 AM to 5:30 PM daily.
This schedule applies year-round on both weekdays and weekends. 12 hours is plenty of time for exploration, though an extra hour before sunrise for viewing the chambers in peace is magical.
The key is arriving right at 5:00 AM with your pass ready. This ensures you can enter for sunrise before the crowds. Independent travelers without tour groups should target this early entry time.
I’d recommend staying until close at 5:30 PM if you can, as sunsets at Angkor Wat are sublime. The temple takes on a golden glow in the hours before dusk. Plan to follow the sun’s journey across the sky.
Special Hours for Sunrise Visits
The Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours are meant exactly to satisfy those who wish to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat, to time a sunrise view perfectly:
- Arrive at 5:00 AM latest. The doors open then, so head straight into the temple.
- Walk directly to the east-facing back of the central tower.
- Find an inner balcony spot and wait for the sky to brighten.
- Sunrise rays begin streaming over the tower around 5:30-6:00 AM.
- For a few magical minutes, the temple glows golden pink at dawn.
- Snap photos quickly before the crowds pour in!
- Spend the next few hours wandering Angkor Wat’s passages and bas-reliefs until it gets busy.
Rise before the sun to get that iconic sunrise shot reflecting in the pools. The east side sees the first light. I’d recommend booking a professional tour guide to handle logistics and positioning.
The morning spirituality and peaceful energy is wonderful. Have your camera ready to capture the brief but gorgeous dawn glow over Angkor Wat’s iconic silhouette.
Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours by Day of the Week
Angkor Wat maintains the same opening hours every day:
Monday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Wednesday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Thursday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Friday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Saturday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Sunday: 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM
So weekdays and weekends have identical schedules. No need to plan your visit on a specific day – Angkor Wat will be open from 5:00 AM to 5:30 PM daily regardless.
Having the same reliable timings 7 days a week makes it easier to plan your temple exploration. Just focus on timing sunrise, avoiding peak heat at midday, and catching sunset if possible.
Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours by Season
Angkor Wat’s hours shift slightly during certain seasons and celestial events:
Cool/Dry Season (November – March):
- 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM daily. Peak tourist season with comfortable temperatures.
Hot Season (March-May):
- 5:00 AM – 5:30 PM daily. Very hot, use caution and hydrate.
Green/Wet Season (May – October):
- 5:30 AM – 5:30 PM daily. Later open, watch for rain storms.
Equinox Sunrise Days:
- 4:30 AM – 5:30 PM. Twice a year in March and September, open early for equinox.
Khmer New Year (Mid-April):
- 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Shorter to accommodate celebrations/festivities.
Pchum Ben Festival (Late September/Early October):
- 5:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Modified hours for this 15-day ancestral remembrance holiday.
As you can see, the core hours don’t change too dramatically throughout the year. But be aware of equinox and cultural holiday schedules that can impact opening times and crowds.
Temple Closure Dates
On certain special occasions, Angkor Wat may be closed entirely for the day:
- Khmer New Year – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of April
- Visakha Bochea Day – On the full moon of the 6th lunar month. Occurs in May most years.
- King’s Birthday – May 13-15
- King Mother’s Birthday – June 18
- Constitution Day – September 24
- Coronation Day – October 29
- Independence Day – November 9
- Angkor Wat Marathon – Last or first Sunday of December
It’s rare for the whole complex to close more than 1-2 days per year on average. But before any trip, cross-reference your dates with local sources to look for holiday closures. Being flexible by a day can ensure you don’t miss out.
- Tickets are required to enter Angkor Wat and sold at the main entrance gates.
- One-day, three-day, and seven-day passes are available.
- Prices are US$37 for one day, US$62 for three days, and US$72 for seven days as of 2023.
- Multi-day tickets allow access to all the main Angkor temples. They offer savings if you plan to see more than just Angkor Wat.
- Passes are valid from the first day of use until 5:00 PM on the final day.
- Tickets can be purchased online in advance for convenience. Or buy them at the entrance.
Having an Angkor ticket handy will save precious time when trying to enter for sunrise at 5:00 AM. I’d recommend grabbing a multi-day pass if you can to enjoy the nearby sites like Angkor Thom and Ta Prohm. Simply show your ticket and proceed into the complex anytime during operating hours.
Touring Angkor Wat
- Angkor Wat is massive – allow at least 3 hours to tour the key areas. Better yet, devote a full day to visiting.
- Walk the outer and inner galleries, climb the central tower, and wander the inner temples.
- Marvel at the moats, mile-long bas-reliefs, statues, libraries, and hidden rooms.
- Hire a guide to share stories and navigate easily.
- Dress appropriately by covering knees and shoulders.
- Bring water, snacks, hat, insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Tripods are not allowed inside, but most photography is permitted.
Take your time – it is easy to spend a half day or more exploring Angkor Wat. I’d recommend starting early when it’s cool and relatively empty. Have water, proper shoes, and sun protection. Hiring a knowledgeable local guide truly enhances the experience, too, if it fits your budget.
Staying Flexible with Opening Times
Keep in mind that specific operating hours at Angkor Wat can change or vary:
- Hours may shift slightly due to weather, noise, restoration works or special events.
- Verify the latest times at park offices before committing to a definitive schedule.
- Note that tour groups with special permits can sometimes enter 30 minutes before the general public opening time.
- Be ready to adapt your plans if needed should changes to hours occur.
- Don’t rely on outdated blog or guidebook schedules, as timings do evolve.
While the above hours provide a general framework, staying flexible will serve you well in Cambodia. Chat with knowledgeable locals upon arrival for up-to-date operating times and closure notices. With preparation and adaptability, you’re sure to have an amazing Angkor Wat experience.
Now that you know when to visit Angkor Wat for the best experience, let’s get into more details on making the most of your time there.
Hey fellow temple fanatics! Looking to experience an epic Angkor Wat sunset? Well, get ready for the private sunset tour of a lifetime with yours truly. Our Private Angkor Wat Sunset Tour takes you on an incredible 10 hour adventure across Angkor Archaeological Park.
- Angkor Thom
- Bayon Temple
- Ta Prohm
- Angkor Wat
You name the iconic temple, we hit it. But that’s not all. With our knowledgeable local guide, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- Hidden corners
- Secret pathways
- Off-limit spots regular tourists can’t reach!
Our guide’s insider knowledge brings Angkor’s history to life. And we’ve perfectly timed this tour to catch that magical golden hour glow on the ancient temples. I’m talking next-level sunset photo ops!
Plus, with private transportation between sites, you can just soak up the atmosphere while our AC van keeps you comfortable. And the grand finale? Watching the sunset from Phnom Bakheng Hill overlooking the iconic Angkor Wat. Now, that’s what I call temple goals!
- Angkor Thom, Bayon, Ta Prohm, Angkor Wat and more
- Sunset views from Phnom Bakheng Hill
- Exclusive temple access with expert local guide
- Hidden pathways off limits to regular tourists
- Perfectly timed for golden hour glow
- Private AC transportation between sites
- 10 hour small group sunset temple tour
- Luxury air conditioned transport
- Licensed English speaking guide
- Sunset viewing at Phnom Bakheng temple hill
- Flexibility to customize tour pace and sites
If you’re looking for an exclusive, crowd-free Angkor Wat sunset tour that’s personalized just for you, our private tour is the way to go. Let’s create memories to last a lifetime!
Get ready to catch Angkor Wat at dawn’s first light! Our Private Angkor Wat Sunrise Tour is simply the best way to experience Angkor Wat in all its glory. Watching those first rays peek over the iconic towers is a bucket list moment.
Here’s what you can expect on this amazing 8 hour private tour:
- Pick up while it’s still dark and head straight for Angkor Wat before sunrise
- Get insider tips on best spots for views and photos from our expert local guide
- Soak up the incredible sunrise, then visit other breathtaking temples like Bayon and Ta Prohm
- Fully customize your time with a personal guide – stay longer or take a break anytime!
- Stay refreshed zooming between sites in our comfortable AC van
- Sunrise over Angkor Wat’s iconic towers
- Bayon, Ta Prohm and other bucket list temples
- Flexibility to personalize and customize
- Avoid crowds with exclusive experience
- Professional local guide
- Comfortable air conditioned transport
- Private 8 hour Angkor Wat sunrise temple tour
- Pick up from hotel before dawn
- Expert positioning for ideal sunrise views
- Visit Bayon, Ta Prohm and other key sites
- Personal guide for insider tips and customization
- Luxury air-conditioned van
Watching the sunrise at Angkor Wat is an iconic experience. Our private tour delivers buckets of local knowledge plus flexibility to personalize your ideal sunrise adventure. Let’s make it happen! This is one dawn date you’ll never forget.
For an in-depth Angkor Wat experience, our 2-day private tour is the ultimate temple quest. We’ll take you to the best of Angkor Watkins over two action-packed days. I’m talking:
- Sunrise views of Angkor Wat
- Personalized tours temple to temple
- Sunset at Phnom Bok hill temple
- And so much more!
This is Angkor Wat done right. Here’s a quick rundown of what to expect:
- Explore legendary temples like Ta Prohm and Angkor Thom
- Expert local guide brings history to life
- Watch magical sunset at Phnom Bok temple
- Rise before dawn and see sunrise at Angkor Wat
- Visit iconic temples like Bayon and Preah Khan
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Angkor Wat sunrise and sunset
- Ta Prohm, Bayon, Angkor Thom and more
- Flexibility for a personalized itinerary
- Expert local guides
- Comfortable air conditioned transport
- 2 day Angkor Wat highlights tour
- Sunrise and sunset temple views
- Customizable temple to temple tours
- Pickup and drop-off at hotel included
- Private guide and luxury van
Whether traveling solo or with friends, our private 2-day tour allows you to fully immerse yourself in Angkor Wat’s magic. Let us handle your dream itinerary while you craft lifelong memories!
Calling all luxury travelers! For the ultimate exclusive Angkor Wat experience, our VIP private full-day temple tour takes your exploration to the next level. Here’s what our exclusive tour includes:
- Behind-the-scenes temple access regular tourists can’t get
- Special permits to access restricted and sacred areas
- Luxury air conditioned transport
- Private sunset viewing without the crowds
- Local gourmet dining at the temples
- Total customization – make your perfect itinerary!
The best part? You’ll get to see exclusive parts of the temples most visitors never do. Feel like you’ve journeyed back in time to Angkor’s glorious heyday!
- VIP access to off-limit temple areas
- Special private ceremonies and dinners
- Luxury transport and elite treatment
- Ultimate flexibility for a customized temple quest
- Chance to visit without the crowds
- The most exclusive way to experience Angkor Wat
- Private full day tour with luxury guide
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes temple access
- Restricted and sacred areas only VIPs can enter
- Comfortable AC transport
- Sunset viewing without crowds
- Fully personalized and customizable
For Angkor Wat, like royalty, our exclusive private temple tour takes luxury and personalization to the next level. Let us unlock Angkor’s majesty on the most elite temple adventure imaginable!
How to Book a Private Sunrise Tour
One excellent way to maximize your limited Angkor Wat sunrise viewing time is to book a private tour. The benefits of having an expert guide include:
- No waiting in ticket lines – your guide will handle securing admission passes ahead of time.
- Transportation before dawn directly into the complex – no need to arrange your own travel.
- Insider knowledge of the best spots to photograph the sunrise, before crowds gather.
- Illumination on the history, stories and details of Angkor Wat to make it come alive.
- Flexibility to customize the tour and stay as long as you like after sunrise.
- Convenience of having water, refreshments, ponchos for rain, etc handled for you.
Look for a licensed guide service that knows the intricacies of timing and positioning the sunrise experience. Reputable companies will have policies like fixed pricing, certified safe vehicles, liability insurance and continuing training for guides.
A private sunrise tour ensures you don’t miss out on seeing the first equinox rays or daily dawn glow over Angkor Wat’s iconic towers. Having an expert on hand enhances the whole bucket list experience as well.
Adventure awaits, pioneer! Seize this one-of-a-kind opportunity to blaze your own trail through Angkor’s ancient temples on a fully customizable sunrise tour.
This one-of-a-kind Sunrise Tour lets you handpick which majestic temples to explore.
With wonders around every corner, will you witness Angkor Wat at dawn?
Lose yourself in Ta Prohm’s stone maze?
Only one way to find out! Stake your claim on this exclusive tour now before spaces sell out. Adventure awaits the bold – answer the call today!
Scheduling an Exclusive Sunset Tour
Similar to a specialized sunrise excursion, you can also book a private tour for sunset at Angkor Wat. Reasons to consider a sunset tour include:
- Expert positioning to capture the perfect sunset photo over Angkor Wat’s silhouette.
- Avoiding crowds at the end of the day when independent travelers are trying to squeeze in sunset views.
- An elevated view from a hidden temple balcony or specially accessed restricted area.
- Cultural insight from a knowledgeable local guide on the significance of the setting sun.
- Convenient roundtrip transport so you can relax and focus on the experience.
- Flexibility to take photos at multiple locations as the sun goes down.
- Cold drinks, snacks and refreshments around sunset time to rejuvenate you.
- Ability to customize the tour based on your interests and desired outcomes.
Professional Angkor Wat guides have experience timing sunset tours for ideal viewing and photography opportunities in the golden hour light. Please take advantage of their expertise so you don’t miss out on this magical experience.
PS: Top guides have connections to arrange these exclusive VIP-style adventures inside Angkor Wat. While pricier than normal, they create once-in-a-lifetime memories tailored just for you.
I hope this complete guide provides helpful tips and details on the best times to visit majestic Angkor Wat! Let me know if you need any other advice to plan your temple trip. I’m happy to share more insider information so you can make the most of your Angkor Wat experience.
With flexible timing using these opening hours, and the right preparation, you’re sure to have a magical time at this bucket list UNESCO World Heritage Site. Have an amazing temple adventure! Please connect with me if you need help planning the trip of a lifetime to Angkor Wat.
Visiting Angkor Wat ranks as a top travel goal for many, and with good reason.
This ancient temple complex is simply breathtaking, with its grand architecture, intricate carvings and spiritual ambiance.
By better understanding Angkor Wat’s opening times for sunrise, sunset and standard operational hours, travelers can make the most of their visit. Arriving at the right moments to miss crowds and have perfect lighting is key.
While planning some flexibility around potential holiday closures, this guide provides the latest timings to maximize time exploring one of Cambodia’s most wondrous treasures. Seeing Angkor Wat is a memory that stays with you forever. With extra preparation using these tips, your trip there will be smooth, well-timed and unforgettable.
Angkor Wat Temple Opening Hours – For Further Reading
- Angkor Wat Sunrise Tour – Witness the majestic sunrise over Angkor Wat on a private morning tour.
- Angkor Wat Sunset Tour – Experience Angkor Wat at golden hour on this personalized sunset temple tour.
- 2 Days Angkor Wat Tour – Make the most of Angkor Wat with a 2-day highlights tour including sunrise and sunset.
- Visiting Angkor Wat at Sunrise – Tips and advice for timing your Angkor Wat visit perfectly for sunrise.
- Angkor Wat Equinox 2023 – Info on equinox dates and sunrise viewing at Angkor Wat.
- One Day at Angkor Wat – Recommended one day temple itinerary with optimal timing.
- 3 Days in Angkor Itinerary – How to best spend 3 days exploring Angkor’s temples.